home‎ > ‎Show Activities‎ > ‎

Banquet - Speaker information

BUFFET SUPPER 

This year’s banquet will be at 6:00 pm at the Pierce Pavilion on the Pierce County Fair Grounds in Pierce Nebraska catered by the White House. Our guest Speaker to be determined.


Massey family tractor history

Massey Ferguson was founded in 1847 in Newcastle, Ontario by Daniel Massey as the Newcastle Foundry and Machine Manufactory. To begin with it made some of the world's first mechanical threshers at first by assembling parts from the United States but eventually designing and building their own equipment. Daniel's eldest son Hart Massey renamed the enterprise the Massey Manufacturing Co. and moved it to Toronto in 1879 where it soon became one of the city's leading employers. The massive collection of factories, consisting of a 4.4 hectares (11 acres) site with plant and head office at 915 King Street West (now part of Liberty Village), became one of the best known features of the city. Massey expanded further and began to sell its products internationally. Through extensive advertising campaigns he made it one of the most well-known brands in Canada. A labor shortage throughout the country also helped to make the firm's mechanized equipment very attractive.

 

Massey-Harris Limited In 1891, Massey Manufacturing merged with A. Harris, Son & Co. Ltd to become Massey-Harris Limited and became the largest agricultural equipment maker in the British Empire. Massey-Harris made threshing machines and reapers as well as safety bicycles, introducing a shaft-driven model in 1898. In 1910 it acquired the Johnston Harvester Company located in Batavia, New York, making it one of Canada's first multinational firms.

Massey-Harris's early tractor models included the 20 horsepower Massey-Harris GP 15/22 (1930–36), 25 horsepower Massey-Harris Pacemaker (1936–39), 35 horsepower Model 101 (1938–42), Massey-Harris PonyModel 20Model 81, and Model 744.

Grain harvesting was revolutionized by Massey engineer Tom Carroll in 1938 with the world's first self-propelled combine – the No. 20. —but it was too heavy and expensive for extensive mass production. However, it served as a guide for the building of the lighter and less costly No. 21, which was tested in 1940 and put on sale in 1941. The Massey-Harris No. 21 Combine was commemorated with a Canada Post stamp on June 8, 1996. E.P. Taylor, one of C.D. Howe's dollar-a-year men, joined the board of directors in 1942, and Eric Phillips joined management in 1946.

 

Sawyer-Massey In a complex turn of events, the Massey family turned to steam engine builder L.D. Sawyer & Company of Hamilton, Ontario, and started a line of steam tractors. These engines were quite successful and were built in a number of sizes. The 25 horsepower was popular, and the expanding Prairie provinces clamored for big breaking engines. Massey also experimented with tandem compound engines. Sawyer Massey lasted only until 1910 when the firm was wound down, and Massey went into oil engines. Sawyer-Massey and Massey-Harris were two separate companies, both managed by the Massey family.

 

Wallis Gas Tractor and wider influence. Massey began experimenting with oil engines about 1910, with engines such as the Bulldog. However, success came only later in the 1920s with the Wallis line of tractors which was purchased by the firm.

In the 1930s, it introduced the first self-propelled combine harvester. Massey Harris also produced one of the world's first four-wheel drive tractors.

 

Massey-Harris-Ferguson In 1953, Massey-Harris merged with the Ferguson Company to become Massey-Harris-Ferguson, before finally taking on its current name in 1958.

 

Massey Ferguson The name was shortened to Massey Ferguson in 1958. They tried to consolidate the two dealer networks and product lines. Its television and radio advertising featured an upbeat jingle, with a male chorus singing, "He's a get-up-early, keep-'em-rollin', Massey-Ferguson kind of a man." But the company soon began to decline financially. Facing increasing international competition in the 1960s the firm began to struggle. 

AGCO purchased Massey-Ferguson in 1994 and  continues to use the name.

Comments